Pfsense error due to Freebsd change. Please fix



  • My Intel Etherexpress pro 100 doesn't work on 2.0.  It does work work on 1.2.3 and previous versions.

    I attribute the error that was fixed in 2008, but must not be implemented in pfsense as of yet.  Here is the freebsd fix.  Note, I haven't actually tested this on Freebsd.  Nor have I tried to actually patch pfsense.  I dont have secondary equipment and I don't want to take down my network as i try to fix it.

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/115623&cat=

    I receive the same error whenever I try to update to pfsense 2.0.  Unable to allocate resources to CIS or whatever.

    If you implement a change to fix this, which I would be most appreciate for, please post here.  Thanks!



  • That's apparently specific to a Xircom card, and has not been committed to FreeBSD. The people in that PR have problems on 7.x, which means 1.2.x would not work if that was the problem you're seeing.

    It's apparently some different driver regression between FreeBSD 7.2 and RELENG_8. If you can post the details to the freebsd-stable list with your logs and dmesg, hopefully someone will get it fixed in time for 8.1 release. We don't fix or work with these kinds of things, they all come from upstream.



  • Can you give me an idea of what you want to see…as in what logs?  Maybe even the commands you want me to run? I just want something pointing me in the right direction so I get you all the information you need.  That should be enough information that I can do the detective work myself.  Thanks.



  • the entire system log after booting should suffice, or right after booting, go to Diagnostics > Command and run dmesg



  • When it doesn't work for 2.0:

    cbb0: <topic100 pci-cardbus="" bridge="">at device 11.0 on pci0
    cardbus0: <cardbus bus="">on cbb0
    pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
    cbb0: [FILTER]
    cbb1: <topic100 pci-cardbus="" bridge="">at device 11.1 on pci0
    cardbus1: <cardbus bus="">on cbb1
    pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
    cbb1: [FILTER]

    cardbus0: Unable to allocate resource to read CIS.
    cardbus0: Unable to allocate resources for CIS
    cardbus0: Unable to allocate resource to read CIS.
    cardbus0: Unable to allocate resources for CIS
    dc0: <xircom 10="" x3201="" 100basetx="">port 0x1080-0x10ff mem 0x88000000-0x880007ff,0x88001000-0x880017ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
    dc0: No station address in CIS!
    device_attach: dc0 attach returned 6
    cardbus1: Unable to allocate resource to read CIS.
    cardbus1: Unable to allocate resources for CIS
    cardbus1: Unable to allocate resource to read CIS.
    cardbus1: Unable to allocate resources for CIS
    dc1: <xircom 10="" x3201="" 100basetx="">port 0x1080-0x10ff mem 0x88002000-0x880027ff,0x88003000-0x880037ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
    dc1: No station address in CIS!
    device_attach: dc1 attach returned 6

    And when it works for 1.2.3 RC3 or 1.2.3 Final…

    cbb0: <topic100 pci-cardbus="" bridge="">at device 11.0 on pci0
    cardbus0: <cardbus bus="">on cbb0
    pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
    cbb0: [ITHREAD]
    cbb1: <topic100 pci-cardbus="" bridge="">at device 11.1 on pci0
    cardbus1: <cardbus bus="">on cbb1
    pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
    cbb1: [ITHREAD]

    dc0: <xircom 10="" x3201="" 100basetx="">port 0x1080-0x10ff mem 0x88000000-0x880007ff,0x88001000-0x880017ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
    miibus1: <mii bus="">on dc0
    tdkphy0: <tdk 78q2120="" media="" interface="">PHY 0 on miibus1
    tdkphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
    dc0: Ethernet address: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:56
    dc0: [ITHREAD]
    dc1: <xircom 10="" x3201="" 100basetx="">port 0x1100-0x117f mem 0x88002000-0x880027ff,0x88003000-0x880037ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
    miibus2: <mii bus="">on dc1
    tdkphy1: <tdk 78q2120="" media="" interface="">PHY 0 on miibus2
    tdkphy1:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
    dc1: Ethernet address: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:66
    dc1: [ITHREAD]</tdk></mii></xircom></tdk></mii></xircom></cardbus></topic100></cardbus></topic100></xircom></xircom></cardbus></topic100></cardbus></topic100>



  • Also post the output of the command: uname -a



  • FreeBSD Home.home.local 7.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Mon Oct  5 22:37:41 UTC 2009    sullrich@FreeBSD_7.2_pfSense_1.2.3_snaps.pfsense.org:/usr/obj.pfSense/usr/pfSensesrc/src/sys/pfSense.7  i386

    I am upgrading back to 1.2.3 release right now.  Like I said both of those work.  I have tried the upgrade version to 2.0 on 3/4 occasions in the past.  I have tried a fresh install of 2.0 with the same outcome. The last release I tested was whichever one was available just before I posted the output of dmesg on this thread.



  • I noticed your post on the freebsd forum.  If there is any update on this situation please let me know and i will give pfsense 2.0 another shot.  Thank you.


Locked