503 - Service Not Available

• Hello,

I'm want to test wifi with snapshot release: pfSense-LiveCD-2.2-DEVELOPMENT-amd64-20140605-1701

But if I want to access the web interface to config some stuff is get: 503 - Service Not Available.

My WAN en LAN interfaces are up and running. pfSense is running more of less because I can use the internet form my LAN.

How can I help to debug is issue? My final go is to test as much as possible with the wifi capabilities

• Same here. Was working fine and suddely, this problem. Updated to last update via console without succes. I will try a factory reset.

• In system log:
    testpfs22 check_reload_status: Could not connect to /var/run/php-fpm.socket

Can't make a cat or tail on lighttpd log. The output is really long and the output is garbage.

• A little more,

If I try to start php-fpm, I get this error.

[01-Oct-2014 11:53:20] ERROR: failed to open configuration file '/usr/local/etc/php-fpm.conf': No such file or directory (2)         
    [01-Oct-2014 11:53:20] ERROR: failed to load configuration file '/usr/local/etc/php-fpm.conf'                                         
    [01-Oct-2014 11:53:20] ERROR: FPM initialization failed

• Ok, found the config file at /usr/local/lib/php-fpm.conf but the're a error about wheel group not found.

Should I add wheel or use a other group for php-fpm ? Is it normal that wheel is missing ? I see in a PFSense 2.1 that wheel and a lot of other group are there will on my 2.2 test, there a really short list of group:

$FreeBSD: src/etc/master.passwd,v 1.39 2004/08/01 21:33:47 markm Exp $

#                                                                                                                                     
    root:$1$Z/1X26p8$***************Qm7r/:0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/sh                                                             
    toor:
    :0:0::0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:                                                                                         
    daemon:
    :1:1::0:0:Owner of many system processes:/root:/usr/sbin/nologin                                                             
    operator:
    :2:5::0:0:System &:/:/usr/sbin/nologin                                                                                     
    bin:
    :3:7::0:0:Binaries Commands and Source:/:/usr/sbin/nologin                                                                       
    tty:
    :4:65533::0:0:Tty Sandbox:/:/usr/sbin/nologin                                                                                   
    kmem:
    :5:65533::0:0:KMem Sandbox:/:/usr/s                                                                                             
    all:
    :1998:root                                                                                                                       
    admins:
    :1999:root                                                                                                                   
    unbound:
    :59:

Thanks

• Finaly edited php-fpm.conf to change user to www and group to daemon. Web interface seem to work fine now.

• New update available. I upgrade it and now, the php-fpm.conf file seem to be generated automaticly. Not sure if it was the same before update but I think I rebooted it without problem before last update. The file always come back with root user (that can't be use with php-fpm from the error message I get) and wheel group don't exist.

Not sure how to fix it now since it seem to be generated automaticly by PFSense.

Also, it's a install on a hard drive installed from iso, not a read-only embedded install.

cat /etc/fstab                                                                               
    # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#                                                                      
    /dev/ada0s1a            /               ufs     rw              1       1

mount                                                                                        
    /dev/ada0s1a on / (ufs, local)                                                                                                                     
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)                                                                                                                       
    /dev/md0 on /var/run (ufs, local)                                                                                                                  
    devfs on /var/dhcpd/dev (devfs, local)

• Just seen this issue happen on my 2.2 rc 1/16/15 64 bit system..  Figures something always breaks

• well i had a similar issue where web gui would say service unavailable on the below thread
    https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=86572.0

• Since SSH goes down after reboot from first upgrade when it works.. I can not get in ssh just use the local monitor and keyboard to the machine.  Also noted that system failed to give me IP.  I tried using the upgrade from console hoping this would fix it but didn't work.  Did upgrade or reinstall install same version I think but still didn't fix it. 2.1 was so much more stable than this version