[SOLVED] Alix APU 1C4 - ERROR installing on SSD
aronese last edited by
I bought a kit with APU 1C4 and mSATA S238 SSD SuperStore.
The kit is recent and the disk should already have the right firmware. I do not know how to check it but on the label it says “FW: V4629N” , where “N” should identify the updated version.
The APU firmware is the most recent: 05/04/2014
I wanted to install pfSense on SSD so I followed the procedure I've seen several times here on the forum:
1. I downloaded the serial memstick image “pfSense-memstick-serial-2.1.4-RELEASE-amd64.img.gz” (checked with md5)
2. copied to a bootable USB pen
3. connected with the APU serial cable and PuTTy to 115,200 bps
4. inserted the key into the APU
5. stopped the boot to set kern.cam.boot_delay = "10000"
6. Booting and changed the link to 9,600
7. PfSense start from the USB pen and arrive to it's general menu
8. I've configured re0/re1 and LAN IP address
9. So far so good, I can also connect to the webgui
10. I went back to PfSense menu and choose the item 99 to start installation on SSD
11. I kept the default settings and choose to install on SSD with the "Quick / Easy Install" menu
12. and then it stops with this message on the screen:
"Execution of the command / sbin / fdisk-I ad4 FAILED with a return code of 1"
13. ….and the message```
"GEOM: ad4: average size does not match the tabel."
14. At that point I can just go out and return to the pfSense main menu. In attachement the log with the full message before/after the error (a little cleand up). I searched here on the forum (also in pcEngines' forum) and I found some reference to similar problems, but I did not understand the possible solution. Given the error msg I thought there was a problem with the SSD but the command``` gpart show status ```answers: OK. My idea is that I should first partition the SSD correctly but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you, Aronese p.s. sorry for my poor english…. :( [putty-9600 for Forum - cleaned.txt](/public/_imported_attachments_/1/putty-9600 for Forum - cleaned.txt)
aronese last edited by
a quick follow-up to say I've solved the problem.
The error was due to the SSD: it had a corrupted partition table. I don't know why, maybe I made some error during first attempts….. :-[
So I rebuilt the correct geometry copying the HSC values from other post (some logs seen here on the forum).
Having done that, the "Quick/Easy Config" tool works fine.... :)
I write it because maybe it will be useful to others in the future.
bigjaspa last edited by
i have the same problem.
please can you tell me how you fix the problem. how you rebuild? which tool ? i'm new here and i have no idea what do you mean.
thx for help!
luckman212 last edited by
what was the solution here? can someone update?