@adelaide_guy Same blocker. Next, opened a support ticket. Appears they need a cert output from in-place upgraded CE system to correct their backend (asked if the system was in-place upgraded CE migrating to Plus or newly downloaded CE v2.6 upgrading to Plus - might be different fix routes). Anyways Netgate support was awesome! Migration from CE to Plus is complete.
Yeah, 2.0.1 is more then 10 y old. So I assume, your hardware is as old as well and could be incompatible with recent pfSense / FreeBSD versions.
If you want to still use it try to get the latest BIOS for it first. Maybe it works with it.
Aside from this any reason for hesitating to upgrade to a recent version?
2.3.5 was the latest version which was available for 32 bit hardware. So I'm wondering if your hardware is still 32 bit.
finally, I was able to update it, it is very strange, it was failing before on one package listed in the logs above, but today it was crashing many times by retrieving the other packages as well, but in the end, was able to get everything and make an update. I lost the system for 10 minutes after a reboot, I thought tomorrow I will have a very "nice" morning in the office with being hit by hundreds of questions about why the network is dead... The system is now alive, but during the boot process in logs I found some logs which do not really looking good, tomorrow will be more clear whether everything works as before :)
@cityunionmission There have been a few posts in the last week or two about IPv6 having problems with packages, at least. Try checking "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" on System/Advanced/Networking. That affects only connections from pfSense itself per the docs.
Have you looked through https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/troubleshooting/upgrades.html ?
Maybe I have a dual WAN interface setup, as their is one for IPv4 and one for IPv6 but I'm not 'tracking', as the set up is static for the IPv6.
When I got home yesterday, I managed to install the proposed pfBlocker update over he.net/IPv6. It went slowly ....... like 9600 bits / sec slow.
After my daily Youtube-brain-food, and some data center checking around me ( Europe Internet backbone ) I saw huge traffic going east. Berlin, Warschau and further.
Something going on in east Europe ?? ;)
As he.net is a major player for most transatlantic connections, I guess I just have to wait it out.
The configuration isn't copied to RAM during upgrade, it remains in place on the disk and isn't touched then. Not sure what might have happened, but it wouldn't have only been from the upgrade being interrupted. Not unless whatever happened also corrupted the filesystem.
The upgrade process doesn't touch the disk in that way, it only applies new OS packages in place of the old ones and makes config adjustments afterward. If it gets interrupted in the wrong place, such as during the kernel package update, I could see it failing to boot like you showed. But that wouldn't result in losing the config or other filesystem data in most cases.
It's possible there was some existing filesystem corruption that was exasperated in some way by the upgrade but that's also quite rare. If that was the case, a reinstall should fix it all up, unless there is a hardware issue underneath such as a failing disk. You might want to keep a close eye on it and make regular backups just in case. Turning on ACB can also help there, but you'll still want to retain a local backup periodically, especially using the new option to backup SSH keys, as that will result in a smoother experience with ACB overall.
That's expected, harmless, and has been covered multiple times here in different threads.
It was a bug in the DEINSTALL script of the old kernel. It's fixed in the new kernel. But there isn't a way to fix that bug without hitting it at least once as it removes the old package during upgrade.
You won't see it on future upgrades on that system.
It's done. And the crucial hint came from you around. A big thank you to you. What was the reason: It was the USB serial adapter. I got myself a new adapter and - believe it or not - it now shows everything it should. I completed the installation and it works. Great thing. Thanks to the forum
@steveits Im restore to factory and reconfigure all, after this all work fine. The strange thing is that everything is configured in the same way. Same options all and same packages which were not uninstalled.
Thank you very much for your attention.
The license is only good for the same system for which it was issued. If you wiped and reloaded the VM, it would still work. Since you deleted and re-created the VM, it's now a different system with a new ID.
I would like to avoid reinstallation as it is in production at a remote location.
I don't use dev in production but when the intern heard "upgrade" he selected 2.7.
If anyone has already successfully downgraded please share it with us.
Thank you very much.
translation using google translate
Do NOT attempt a downgrade. That is highly likely to go badly at this point since the 2.7 DEVELOPMENT tree code is now a bit different from the 2.6.0 production code. Maybe on the same day or the next day after 2.6.0 was released a downgrade might have been fine, but not at this point in the cycle.
So obtain a current config backup and do the full reinstall. Unless you trust your intern at the site, sounds like a road trip is in your near future 🙂.